Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Default FEMA

wrote:
They didn't say in the original post that they were disabled. I
certainly don't expect a disabled person to get a job.

Having said that, I think the OP should be searching around for private
charities to help them out. I would be asking places like the Red
Cross and similiar places. I assume that their local charities would
be overwhelmed so if I were them I'd search nationally. It doesn't
hurt to ask. I would ask the Red Cross directly and see who they say
to ask if they can't do anything. I don't think your first choice
should have been what should some government agency do.

Red Cross does not provide for repair of structures. I went to the
State of Florida website, which had a link to "disaster housing" -
clicked on it and got "Disaster Housing Online". Clicked on "hot
topics" and got this:

http://www.dhronline.org/hotTopics.cfm

The DH site is searchable by state.

I would check with county government and with the local agencies for
elderly, assuming OP is older. Most aid agenencies are overtaxed, and
many needs much more critical (unfortunately) than the OP's.

If coastal homes in FL are damaged more than 50%, they cannot be rebuilt
as they were - have to move up one story. Just in the 8 years I have
lived where I live, one nearby barrier island, which formerly had a
channel between it and the mainland, joined itself to the mainland. The
coast moves all over the place, always has, especially in Florida.

I was out shelling one day, standing in ankle deep water between two
small sandbars. When the tide started running faster, I had trouble
standing. Just shows the power of the oceans in minute detail )

Good luck )