Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Wait

Default Shop siding question

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
news:CdWFf.123689$7l4.28668@trnddc05...
My shop addition (21'x60' added on to an existing 40'x60') has been

complete
for a year and after many trips by the contractor it still leaks at the
windows. I do want to mention that of the 21x60 feet, 21x24 is for the
machinery. Installed radiant tubes in the concrete slab and heavily
insulated walls and ceiling. The remaining 21x36 is finished space with
carpeting, drywall, pool table, 9 pinballs, juke box, piano, saxophone,
popcorn machine,etc. In other words I cannot tolerate leaks. BTW, metal
siding.
Everyone of the six windows has had some degree of leakage. The
manufacturer admits that using "C" channels and flashing is not enough to
seal the windows. Seems like the top "C" channel catches the water but

when
it goes down the side "C"'s there is no incentive for the water to jump

back
out to the exterior of the metal siding. The only solution has been to

add
more and more caulking around the windows.

I would like to take some spare siding (corrugated metal) and make simple
bent awnings over each window so the only place I would ever have to caulk
would be the 'awning-siding' interface. I would like to, for example,

place
a 6 foot long awning a few inches above one of the 5 foot windows. If it
were not for the corrugations I would simply bend a 30° to 45° angle in a
10"x72" strip about 2 inches in from the long edge. BUT because of the
corrugations this is not a simple bend. Seems like my choices are to make
it up from 2 pieces, scribed together, and MIG them together. Of course I
would have to remove galvanizing and repaint the whole assembly. Lots of
work times 6 windows.

Anybody have a better idea?

Thanks,

Ivan Vegvary, in wet Oregon

Remove the siding above the windows, install a drip cap, which is a simple
flashing under the siding and extending out over the top of the window with
a slope to direct water away from the window frame.

/
___/
/

Kinda like this ASCII art for a section. It should have been done from the
get-go. I've been installing windows for 30 years and not one leaker. Get
the contractor to do it. He screwed up.
Tom