Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default MAXX Chain saw grinder vs Oregon 511A

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 08:29:42 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

As an aside to this question ..........

I have two dull chains already for my chainsaw. I bought a Craftsman file
sharpening jig that clamps on top of the bar.

That's fine, but unless you're extremely proficient at sharpening saws
(which most aren't) take your chains in to be professionally sharpened
when they start cutting crooked. Don't forget to file the rakers as
needed. A good saw shop quality sharpening grinder is going to cost
some money, don't be fooled by the cheap knock-offs, they're a waste
of time and money.

I am considering making a stand from an old rim so I don't have to work with
this in my lap, and to be able to disassemble the saw, work on it, clean it,
etc.

Has anyone here ever made a stand, or do you just sit it up on the work
bench? I know for blowing the crud out of it and washing it off, I'd like
to take it outside in the dirt rather than on my shop floor.

Suggestions appreciated.

Folks who make a living with chainsaws do all of the needed
maintenance out in the woods. If you're too far from your PU
tailgate, just do it on a log.

Run a tank of fuel through it, remove the air filter and clean it and
the built up gunk inside of the case/cover. Refill with fuel and bar
oil. Adjust the chain tension. Touch up the chain with a file as
needed, repeat as necessary. Total down time ~5 min between
tankfulls. Install an extra, pre-sharpened chain as needed.

After the days work is done, do a final cleaning, and top off the
fluids. Resharpen your chains when you get back home for the next
days work. I've always got 1/2 a dozen freshly sharpened chains at
the ready. Filing them correctly is an art, one loggers take
seriously. You don't need a fancy stand.