Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ecnerwal

Default MAXX Chain saw grinder vs Oregon 511A

In article uV3Gf.28618$JT.10104@fed1read06,
"Steve B" wrote:

As an aside to this question ..........

I have two dull chains already for my chainsaw. I bought a Craftsman file
sharpening jig that clamps on top of the bar.

So... use it, have two sharp chains, and go cut some wood.

I am considering making a stand from an old rim so I don't have to work with
this in my lap, and to be able to disassemble the saw, work on it, clean it,
etc.

Your lap? Sheesh.

Has anyone here ever made a stand, or do you just sit it up on the work
bench? I know for blowing the crud out of it and washing it off, I'd like
to take it outside in the dirt rather than on my shop floor.

Perhaps you've over-complicated just a wee tad.

You have a chainsaw. Thus, you presumably have logs. Set it on top of
one. If you are actually tearing it apart, a workbench that does not
mind getting oily is useful. Once you've torn it apart enough to get any
sawdust, etc that's not easily removable with the saw assembled off, you
can easily enough walk out the door with the part full of guck and an
air hose - or you can avoid blowing dirty guck in places you'll regret
it later by simply scraping it off with a stick, into the trash. In
either case, any sort of saw stand will rather rapidly be left holding
some irrelevant part of the saw (there just are not that many parts to
grab, and when you take the saw apart, not much is left attached to any
of them.) Furthermore, moving a stand outside is going to be a lot more
bother than carrying the entire saw, or any part of the saw...

If you are sharpening it, the top of a log, or the tailgate of a pickup
both work fine. Same also works fine for normal maintenance such as
swapping chains and bars. It's a not-very-complicated tool for cutting
wood, and does not require a huge support apparatus for daily operations.