Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
StaticsJason

Default OT Has anyone else seen a HUGE drop in Spam?

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
rvers.com...
According to StaticsJason :
Strangely so, yes. was climbing in the weeks before to about double the
average over the last year then almost nothing for the past several days.
Just Odd.

Could it have been impacted by the new Kama Sutra virus? I know
that most spam these days is sent out by compromised machines.

My best guess is that with the publicity surrounding the Friday K.S.
activation lots of otherwise apathetic people updated their antivirus
software and cleaned house. Perhaps it took a bit for spammers to recover
the lost nodes elsewhere. And now they are back with a vengance today.

Hmm ... perhaps what is needed is a "beneficial virus" which
confers immunity to the other ones. That would reduce the number of
sources of spam. :-)

Hmmm. A viral antivirus utility. With the large number of people who either
don't know or don't care about proper security I imagine it would take
something like this to come close to eradicating spam from unwitting
senders. =) Bit of a catch 22 though, could create a future problem to fix
a current problem if someone later piggybacked something malicious on it.

And I've been noticing for about the last month that a number of
sites which I have in my normal IP-based blocklists to refuse smtp
(e-mail) connections have been ignoring the refusals, and continaully
trying -- at the rate of one or two thousand attempts per hour. Since
these are refused, I have no idea whether they are virus infection
attempts, or spam. In either case, I have taken extra steps to make my
e-mail machines vanish from the net as far as they are concerned. (And
*all* of my machines vanish for some attacks, which try to find ssh
logins with all kinds of likely and unlikely usernames, and who knows
what as passwords.

Anyway -- spam seems to be on the order of 10-20 per day for me
right no, with about 90% of it automatically shuttled off to a
"purgatory" folder for checking whether something real got in there and
needs rescuing, and the rest gets processed to add to the IP based
blocklists. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564