Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rastus

Default Is there any reason not to charge a compressor upto 8bar?

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 09:02:32 -0800, jon.p.weaver wrote:

I have just got my new 100 Litre (3hp) upright compressor and notice
that its only charging to 7bar.

I wondered if the gauge was inaccurate, but its got 2 and both read
almost exactly the same.. As I final test, I have a engine compression
tester which I connect and indeed its at around 7 bar.

Is there any reason why I should not adjust the 'cut off' so that it
fills to 8bar? If it has 8 bar in the tank as opposed to 7, then I
assume am going to get more air out (100 litres more), but its
obviously going to take longer to charge and will put extra pressure on
the tank and fittings.

Has it been set to 7 intentionally, or is it normal to 'fine tune' it
during its first few used?

Any info would be appreciated

Jon

7 bar is 100 PSI, 8 bar is 120. I wouldn't think that would hurt
anything.