Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default FEMA

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 21:30:36 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 22:00:58 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

High deductible? That's the lowest you can get. Most Floridians have a
$10000 deductible

I didn't know that. I have $500

Is that your homeowners, your flood or your windstorm. There are 3
separate policies. The combined premium for me is about $3500 with the
high deductible option.
I do have the money to cover the deductible tho. In the last 3 storms
that kicked our ass I never got up to my deductible but we took care
of the problems ourselves. One big factor is how fast you start
mitigating the damage. You don't go looking for tarps after the roof
comes off (have one) and you make sure you do a good level of prep
before the storm.

That's for sure. The mother of the friend I mentioned had for decades
a modest home in .. I think we were still in Tamarac, Fl, and they
had iirc shutters that got bolted over the windows when storms were
expected. Not the pretty shutters with hinges and louvers that one
sees in the northeast, but solid ones. Of course this doesn't protect
the shingled roof.

Now that she is old and widowed, the condo community she moved to
sells, and I think everyone has steel shutters of the sort above, and
the window frames were built with, or there has already been drilled,
holes to accept the bolts that hold these steel shutters.

I'm sure it was dark in the apartment after their power failed but
when the shutters were still on.

They also had these half-barrel tiles on the roof, and in a n'hood
that has more than 1000 people, they lost a few hundred tiles, which
is not many considering. I guess the bulk of the storm missed them.
Their deductible is iirc 1% of the value of their condo. (maybe that
is the average price of condos sold this year.) Since there is one
apartment on top of another, 2 high, I don't know if the costs is
shared by those two owners, or the entire cost is shared by everyone.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.