Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias

Default ELECTRONICS AFTER FIRE

"William R. Walsh" wrote in
message news:wHMFf.537249$084.147645@attbi_s22...
Hi!

Don't forget the smoke smell - sometimes they can't get that out - and
the
DVD laser pickup gets contaminated inside, at the turning mirror, wnich
cannot be cleaned.

I've yet to run into a smoke smell that just wouldn't come out. Some do
take
a long time, though.

An electric fan or repurposed DC "muffin fan" can help with this problem.
once had a web page up showing how I'd cleaned up a nearly new computer
monitor that was involved in a very messy fire. Patience and a fan cleared
the smoke smell completely out.

As for the DVD player, I'd definitely try it. Laser pickups do seem
awfully
vulnerable to external contamination under the right circumstances.

William

My shop often does work for a fire/water restoration company. They use an
ozone chamber to remove smoke smell, and often the pieces still smell when
we get them. Maybe additional treatments get the rest of the smell out.

Mark Z.