Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

Default Follow up - leaky compressor

In article rs.com, DoN.
Nichols says...

IIRC, the fork setscrews for the MGA transmissions were
square-headed, and drilled for safety wire -- as was a flange on the
fork to accept the other end of the safety wire.

That's a nice feature. Unfortunately ford jeep transmissions
use simple slotted setscrews, with the heads below the fork
surface once they're tight. I think the theory was the jeeps
in question would wind up destroyed before the gearboxes came
apart from vibration. g

But I was interested in a long-term restoration, so I went with
the red locktite, and I'm glad I did. If those shift folks
come adrift, really bad things can happen, and the T84 gearcases
are terribly fragile.

Jim

please reply to: