Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Default Drilling a hole in plywood

Paul-S8 wrote:
"Kev" wrote...
Is there a knack for drilling a hole in plywood or am I using the wrong
type of drill. I need an 8mm dia hole and I am using progressively
larger HSS twist drills but the exit hole is ripping the final ply to
shreds.

get a piece of scrap wood behind it if you can and hold if firmly against
it. You then drill through the ply and into the scrap with no ripping

He could also use an auger (from each side) but the above
may be easier... maybe drill a pilot hole and use a rose
bit on each side, or other imaginitive methods.