Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Adrian

Default 'Steam' powered cars...

Simon Hobson ) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying :

The actual weight of an IC power trains is massive.
In the electric, its only the batery that really weighs

The controls, and motors have a not inconsiderable weight. Less than
an IC engine and gearbox, bot not negligable. As for the weight of the
conventional plant, well I think 600kg will cover the entire
drivetrain (engine, gearboxes, and axles) of a Land Rover - and it's
most definitely a LOT more than the engine & gearbox of the sort of
small economical car that certain people would have us drive.

I can lift the entire engine and gearbox of a 2cv on my own.
I am hardly musclebound.

600kg is more than the kerbweight of an entire 2cv.

IIRC the complete engine and gearbox out of a 2-litre petrol turbo Cit XM I
broke weighed around 200kg, palletted and ready for shipping.