Simon

Default 18v circular saws - any good?

"Tenex" wrote in message
As header really, I have need of a circular saw for a few projects and I
wondered if battery ones were any good? I don't need to cut much more

than
18mm MDF at most. Are they any good for cutting laminate flooring or

would
be better off hiring a chop saw?

Thanks

I had to cut a banner down to length that had 1" mild steel box section as a
frame, clad in 9 mm MDF, this was in the foyer of the National Theatre ...
all I had was my DW cordless trim saw and a hacksaw, set the depth to 9mm to
cut off the MDF and then finish off with the hacksaw, well I thought it was
9mm :-/ ...... turns out it was 6mm and i had my glasses on upside down ...
the DW went through the mild steel like it wasn't there, so I wound the
blade down and finished the job.
It really depends on the blade as well as the saw, the DW comes with a
blade that is guaranteed against hitting a certain amount of nails, plus it
is very thin ... so there isn't much drag. I've used it for 18mm ply before
and it groaned a bit, but the ply was wet. The motor won't last like a
mains powered saw, but it is good for getting you out of trouble if you need
a quick cut, in an awkward place and don't want to be trailing leads and
dealing with a high HPs.