Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Lawnmower that will not start

On 6 Feb 2006 10:50:55 -0800, "Richard" wrote:

Folks, I have an older Craftsman lawn mower that I can't get to start.
I do get a good spark, so I'm assuming that it means a clogged
carburetor. Is there anything that I can pour into the tank and allow
to sit there that might help dissolve any old varnish? Thanks in
advance for your suggestions!

Doesn't anyone suggest small parts cleaner anymore, or whatever it is
called. It comes in a can a little bigger than a can of Giardelli
cocoa, or a pound of whipped butter, but with the walls vertical, and
one is supposed to disassemble the whole carb and soak every part that
does not contain plastic in it. They usually have a basket inside
the can so you can pull out the basket and let most of the solvent
drain off, then wash the parts in water while still in the basket. A
lot stronger than spray or liquid gumout, at least it was 40 years
ago. I bought another can about 15 years ago, at an autoparts store,
by a major maker, like gumout, but I don't know if it was as strong as
the prior stuff.

Or is it that there are too many rubber or plastic parts firmly
affixed to the metal ones?

Do you guys know about this stuff, and if so, do you use it?

At any rate, if this or the other suggestions don't work, there are
one or two parts that can be replaced where the clog is. I was in a
hurry and the repair guy talked me into 4 or 5, for maybe 20 or 25
dollars, but if money is tight, you could do them one at a time. B&S
engines have exploded views, part numbers, and a list of dealers on
line, although Ithink the place I went to was not on their list, even
though it had everything. It was closer to my home.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.