Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Casual Fool

Default Wood as an insulator?

On 1 Feb 2006 15:02:33 -0800, "larry moe 'n curly"
wrote:

Why is it safe to use wood around high voltage when it contains
moisture?

According to www.woodbin.com/ref/wood/emc.htm , wood contains
approximately 2-15% moisture at room temperature.

Hi there.. Well, a little over 35 years ago, when I was a young man,
and had just gotten my Amateur Radio License, I didn't have the money
for a center insulator for my low frequency 40 meter dipole, So, I
built a "homemade" insulator out of fresh, new, woodstock that my dad
had around... I carefully put the dipole together, wrapping it with
your usual black tape, and it worked great! The SWR was 1.2 to 1, and
I was happy.. A few weeks later, after a few moderate rainfalls, my
SWR went sky high, for no reason! (At least, that I didn't know about
yet) When I finally thought I figured out what was happening, an old
timer agreed with my asessment of the problem, and, had pity on me,
and was nice in giving me a ceramic glass egg insulator, and all was
well after that.. As far as your question goes, especially with high
voltage (as opposed to 50 watts RF) I wouldn't trust wood for a HV
insulator no matter what you did to it! Stick with what you know
works, i.e., ceramic glass, teflon, and the many new HV insulation
techniques that have come about for reasons of saftey first, and THAT
is what counts, OM.. Best luck then! Anthony, WB8MLA