Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mach 1

Default Aluminum tempering for landing gears?

But the thing is I had a piece of 6061 T6 done and it was like a car
leaf spring.

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 01:11:57 GMT, Gene Kearns
wrote:

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 17:16:02 -0500, Mach 1
wrote:

I have messed with radio control models for years and I have worked in
machine shops for over 30 years so Im familiar with aluminum 6061 T6.

Several years back I needed a landing gear for a plane and I knew that
making it outta the T6 that if I put my bends in it that it want hold
that shape. It will flatten back out if you press on it.

But I found a guy in SC that took my bent T6 piece and he did
something to make it like a car spring. It not only held its shape
when loaded it would go back to its original shape. I mean it was
strong.

Now what did he do? Did he just raise the T factor higher?
Was it a chemical process or just a way of doing it in a oven?

Dennis

If you *must* use aluminum... go with 2024 or 7075. It will have to be
heat treated to achieve the properties you desire. Try Carolina
Commercial Heat Treating... if they are still around...