Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Chilcoat

Default Follow up - leaky compressor

Yeah, red Loctite is overkill. IIRC, Harley Davidson was assembling
slip-fit gears onto smooth shafts with it without the need for any splines
or interference fit. Just cleaned everything up, put red Loctite on both
parts, and slipped the gear on the shaft. Was effectively a permanent bond.
I presume they're still doing it that way, but don't know for sure.

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Bob Chilcoat says...

LOL. So they started by assembling the gearbox: "place shifter fork
on shift shaft no. 1."

This is one reason those setscrews should be locktited in place, which
is what I did when assembling my neighbor's jeep gearbox, using red
locktite. I thought it might have been a JC maneuver, until we both
realized that the aftermarket shafts he had bought were machined
incorrectly,
allowing one of the forks to overtravel and have mild gear interference.

He purchased NOS shafts, and after removing the gearbox from the car,
I realized that the setscrew was in there like it was welded in place.

I had to apply the flame of an air-acetylene torch to the head of the
screw, whereupon it was trivial to back it out. I felt a lot better about
the locktite option when re-assembling it the second time.

Jim

please reply to: