Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Lot size on builder's map at time of contract is smaller than survey

swift3d wrote:
There was no fill-in-the-blank for lot size in the contract form. All
I got was a map from the builder's sale rep. And there is no way to
find out until I got the survey back at settlement. Thanks a whole
bunch for your quick reply.

You were certainly entitled to the survey before the closing. You most
likely are the one that paid for it, didn't you? I remember ordering
surveys for homes I purchased and getting them for the mortgage company
to review well in advance of closing.

I also got not only a survey but also had the survey company come out
and place markers so I knew where the boundaries are.

The questions now a

1 - Are the property boundaries about where you thought they were, but
just the total square footage is 1000 ft less? Is the difference in
one area, say a side yard or back yard that makes an obvious difference
or perhaps even violates some zoning reqt, like side yard reqt, set
back, etc?

2 - What would the property have sold for with a lot size that is 1000
ft less?

If similar houses are going for the same price on the smaller lot,
you'll have a pretty hard time proving damages.