Posted to misc.consumers.house
Todd H.

Default Lot size on builder's map at time of contract is smaller than survey

"swift3d" writes:
Not sure if there is already a posted subject. Sorry!
I do have a question and hope someone in this group could help explain
or help me out.

I live in VA and recently settled. I found out that my lot size on the
survey is much smaller than the one on the subdivision's map which I
was given to pick out my lot. The difference is more than 1000 sq ft.
I talked to the builder and they said that the Survey Co said that was
the correct lot size. I think the Survey Co based their info on the
builder's submission error.

Can it deviate that much? What can I do to get the builder to fix
it?

That's certainly an error. And a great case in point as to why
survey's are done every time a property changes hands.

On the Illiois multi-board approved contracts, at least, there is a
fill in blank for approximate lot size. If your contract to purchase
was similar, and you filled it in with the builder's estimate of lot
size rather than "per survey," and the survey came back that much
less, you'd have a pretty good case for walking from the contract and
getting your $ back, I'd have to think. Caveat: I am not a lawyer.

I'd get one post haste as another poster sagely suggested.

If you've already closed on this property, good luck having anything
done.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.