Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob S.

Default Natural Gas Piping Pressure Test

Wayne Whitney wrote:
Hello,

All the instructions I have seen for doing a pressure test on new
natural gas piping say to disconnect the meter, all appliances and all
shut-off valves and cap the ends of the lines. What is wrong with
just leaving the shut-off valves in place and turning them off? Local
code requires a pressure test of 10 psi for 15 minutes, and the WOG
ball valves I am using are rated to 600 psi (and tested to 100 psi).
So they should handle 10 psi!

Thanks, Wayne

By doing it the way they say you are checking pipe & pipe joints in
inaccessable areas. A leaky valve can be easily replaced but a leaky
joint in a wall or slab cannot. You have to start with what you *know*
is good, then eliminate other sources. Doing it their way is
establishing a "known" good.