Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

Default Microwave oven safe after 10 years?

wrote in message
oups.com...
My microwave oven is almost 10 years old. I didn't notice a change in
the way it works, but I am still concerned whether there is a
"radiation leak" after so many years in operation. Any expert advice
will be appreciated.

thanks

I wouldn't worry about it. Even a microwave oven with a damaged seal is
unlikely to cause health problems. Don't fall into the trap of believing
urban myths about 'radiation', which people associate with radioactive
particles and mutation :-) There's no link that I'm aware of with microwave
ovens and cancers etc.

Microwave oven energy is just a very strong radio wave. It could in theory
cause health problems and cataracts, but I've yet to hear of a single case
of serious health problems from consumer microwave oven 'leaks'. If you
aren't confident, take it to someone who can test it for leaks or look out
for a microwave oven leakage tester, I know Radio Shack/Tandy used to sell
them years ago before they realised they were pointless. However, I really
wouldn't worry about it. The fact is that the microwave oven is mature
technology, is considered a very safe appliance and microwave oven leakage
detectors never took off because worries about leakage hazards are largely
scaremongering and urban myth.

Incidentally, probably the worst thing that would happen if your microwave
oven leaked would be interference on nearby radios, TVs and cordless phones!

Dave