Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

Default A cut too far

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 12:53:13 GMT, "Sheila Dougall"
wrote:

Last week I turned a bowl from a lovely piece of Imbuya. There was a
small tool mark on it, which I thought would sand out but mindful of a post
here I took that last cut. Yep, I got a horrible dig, the bowl flew off
the lathe and when I examined it there was a deep gouge on the inside and
the dovetail recess had broken. I put the piece on the scrap heap.
Today being at a loose end I reverse chucked it and cut a new dovetail
recess only 2 mm deep, to my surprise it held in the chuck no problem. I
now have a nice bowl with vey thin walls and no recess. Can't show a photo
as I don't have a camera.

Tom

Good on you, Tom!

Maybe more important than having a nice bowl, you've accelerated your learning
curve... I'm always trying to learn and improve...

Isn't it amazing how gentle and careful your chisel technique is AFTER a catch?
*lol*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing