Posted to rec.woodworking
John

Default Woodworking and Retirement

My grandfather kept at it until the day he died at 87. He wasn't much
into machinery which permitted the rest of the family not to worry about
what he was doing so long as I got to do the laborious stuff like
surface plane his stock, drive to the lumberyard, and make turnings. He
was content in his last several years to make simple items like magazine
racks, birdhouses, small tables, bar stools from parts largely supplied
by me. Can't say I learned nearly enough from the guy by the time I
went off to college.

I'd say it's perfectly safe as long as you have a reasonably steady
hand, aren't getting too forgetful, and don't attempt to turn logs into
lumber. It's even better if you can find some amenable high school kid
to keep you company.

J.

Philly wrote:
Are there many of you out there that didn't start your woodworking hobby
until you retired? How long did it take you to really become effective at
it once you started?

Is woodworking a hobby that a healthy retiree can safely pursue into the
twilight years, say into your late 80's or 90's? Any woodworkers out there
in their 80's and 90's? If there are some of you out there, what if any
limitations are placed on your hobby as a result of your advanced age?