Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Peter A Forbes

Default Best glue for Tufnol?

On 6 Feb 2006 12:50:31 -0800, "Christopher Tidy"
wrote:

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the advice. There's no particular reason for using Tufnol,
except that the original (poor and broken) bobbin around the core was
made from Tufnol. I was about to order some Tufnol tonight, but after
hearing your comments I might not. I had also considered using PVC or
acrylic sheet because you can buy cement which dissolves the plastic
and makes a strong bond, but both are more expensive than Tufnol. Is
SRBP easier to glue than SRBF?

The bobbin will need to fit a core with a 4" x 2.5" cross section, have
at least a 4" length available for the winding and be no more than
4.75" in overall length. If you have anything suitable or know where I
might buy one, please let me know. I'm also in the UK (Shropshire).

I'm winding a 240 V - 415 V autotransformer for a phase convertor. The
core is a shell type.

Best wishes,

Chris

OK, we are in Luton :-))

Have you looked at the laminations you are going to use, and have you decided on
a type?

The Linton & Hirst catalogue is a good start, we can help you out with a bobbin
and some lams if it / they fall in what we use regularly, which is almost all
smaller stuff up to 638 / 750 / 825 and down to 18 / 35 / 147 sizes.

We also keep winding wire up to 3mm diameter on the shelf (or floor for the
bigger sizes!)

Peter
--
Peter & Rita Forbes