Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

Default Question about house re-wiring

On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 16:58:53 -0000 someone who may be "Ian_m"
wrote this:-

What does a split load CU (as opposed to single) do, please ?

Generally, some circuits are protected by an RCD, like socket
outlets, while other circuits are not, like lights. This has the
advantage that a fault on an appliance will probably not plunge the
whole house into darkness.

And why would you replace a single (maybe fused) with a split load one ?

If one is replacing a consumer unit anyway, perhaps to get more
ways, then there are advantages in going for a split one at the same
time.

Personally I prefer cartridge fuses in a consumer unit to MCBs,
because of the high breaking capacity, but most people are better
off with MCBs.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh