Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.repair
Tomi Holger Engdahl

Default shielding rca/component video

"J" notanymore writes:

I've only seen scart in pictures. I'm in the US and none of our gear has
it. I'd love to, but it looks like my idea is cost-prohibitive.

4 wheels, right - point taken.

SCART connector and cables are designed to carry video signal
and stereo audio. There are actually wires for audio and
video (composite video) for both directions. And there are
also some unidirectional control signals and RGB video lines for
one direction.

The idea of SCART is good. The real life implementation of
it leaves something to be desired. The connector used for
SCART is not mechanically or electrically very good
(connector gets easily loose when cable is moved and
then pins are not making good contact).

Then some equipment could have designed the use of some
control signals better in their equipment...

And audio/video connections were pretty clear
(composite video and RGB well specified, nicely
degrading to use composite video if one of the
equipment on one end did not support RGB) until someone
later added S-video support for some SCART connectors
on some equipment... not amy equipment support those...
anyway the way S-video was added to scart has caused many
people to wonder why they get blac&white video where
they expect to get color video...

--
Tomi Engdahl (http://www.iki.fi/then/)
http://www.epanorama.net/