Posted to alt.home.repair
thetiler

Default FEMA

I survived Charlie and our whole area was
trashed. Bottom line about FEMA is you have
to be destitute to receive help. You must
have been displaced due to your home being
destroyed. To qualify for the low interest loan
you must not be able to secure a loan any other
way. In other words- have no credit or be a
general low-life, drug addict, homeless bum etc.
If you have good credit (me) you can qualify
for a higher interest (8%) loan from the SBA
but they will demand you account for every
penny used for the loan, and the loan is "only
to put your property back to where it was before
the storm, NOT to upgrade or add anything new".

Bottom line- as mentioned here- don't depend
on the government to help. Only my neighbors
whose homes were trashed and unlivable got
some help, and a couple got FEMA trailers (after
3 months). All of us who were still able to live in
our homes, or had decent credit, were not qualified
for any help except to be reimbursed for the cost
of our generator and chain saws.

P.S. A home with a barrel tile roof in Fla is usually
a pretty nice home. Usually only upscale homes
have tile roofs. You were taking a chance living
in a nice home while only able to live on Social
Security. Maybe you should sell your place and
downsize into something affordable to you, and
easier to repair if needed.

thetiler