Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Kirk S.

Default Magnavox RH8524 dead again

Hi,

Got this for free a few years ago and am doing my best to keep it running.
Had a disc capacitor burn out a couple of years ago on the deflection board
that caused it to quit working. Similar symptoms this time:

- sizzling sound just before picture went out
- burned plastic smell
- no sound, etc...

I checked the capacitor (C44?) that burned last time and it is still intact.
It is by the HOT transistor.

Power button causes power relay to click on and the power light to lamp
however there are no other signs of life. No obvious burned components
found on any of the boards. I even looked at the convergence board in the
front.

I'm going to start looking at it with a meter and manual however if anyone
has any ideas of obvious failures or know problems, I'd really appreciate
it.

Thanks in advance,

Kirk S.