Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Default Intentionally rusting metal...

I"ll try that - knew that for stone work but didn't know for clothing.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Pete Keillor wrote:
On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 22:39:25 -0600, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

Stains you bet. I have an expensive lab coat with a custom IC logo on the back
while the front is rusting orange. Been that way for 38 years and who knows how
many washings and bleaching. I thought maybe I could find a chemical that turns
Iron color into blue. I want to say there is one - and maybe it is soluble in water
or something I could use to clean the coat once and for all. That's life.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

snip

Oxalic acid. We'd get rust stains from acid drips working on the mag
cell project. A little chlorine or HCl would leak out of the cell,
absorb in condensation, and continually drip anywhere inside the cell
building. It wasn't too bad, but any drip was also saturated with
iron from the structure. Instant rust stain on clothes. Oxalic acid
dissolved in water took the stains right out.

Pete Keillor