Posted to alt.home.repair
FDR

Default FEMA

"JerryL" wrote in message
After Hurricane Wilma, I sustained a minimum of $14800 damage to my barrel
tile roof. After my deductible, the insurance company gave me 11535
(3265.00 deductible). My only income is from Social Security so I applied
to FEMA to help me pay the deductible. I read in the papers and heard on
TV how they were giving away $2000 debit cards to everyone in Louisiana
and Mississippi among other goodies. I understand that a lot of these
people are on Welfare but I also understand their welfare checks are
larger than my Social Security check which I have to live on. At first
FEMA referred me to SBA for a low interest loan. I appealed and explained
that there was no way I could repay a loan on my income. They then sent an
inspector down to verify my damage. A month later they determined that I
didn't have enough damage to justify them giving me any aid. $14,800
damage isn't enough damage to a person living on 1098 a month? Not only
that, the lowest estimate I have received to repair the roof is $17000.
I'm trying to get my insurance company to re-evaluate and give more money
towards the roof but the fact remains that I still have 3265 deductible
which I can't afford. I don't want to wave the flag or anything like that
but I served 4 years in the U.S. Navy, I paid taxes all my life and never
got anything for free from the government. What is the criteria the
government uses to determine who gets and who doesn't get? I have the
answer in my mind but I won't put it in writing.

Explain to them that you you have ties to Halliburton. You'll get a lot of
money then.