Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Trying to hang a light fixture from my ceiling in my condo

Well, I got the masonary drill, did the drilling (disturbed the hell
out of my neighbours) and now have my flourescent light fixture hanging
from my two ceiling hooks.

The hooks I purchased can be used in drywall, concrete or wood. If
used in concrete they use these plastic housing that is stuck in the
hole and then the hook screws into the plastic. Apparently each of
these hooks should be able to hold 60 pounds. One issue I ran into was
that I must have been a little sloppy in the drilling of my first hole
since the hook I placed in it slipped out under about 15 pounds of
weight.

So instead of redrilling another hole into the concrete (since that is
really tiring work) - I just poured a bunch of crazy glue all over the
plastic and then quickly screwed the hook in - then let it sit
overnight. In the morning I gave the hook about a 25 pound tug and it
held. So I put the lamp up - I'm guessing this means I'm going to be
regretting that decision when it comes time for me to move out and take
out that hook, eh? If I'm really lucky, I can just yank on the hook
and most of the plastic will come with the hook. If I'm not so lucky,
I'm guessing I'll yank on the hook, leave most of the plastic in there,
then fill the plastic'y hole... dunno

Oh well... amateur construction gets amateur fixes
:\

Novice