Posted to alt.home.repair
JerryL

Default FEMA

"chattycat" wrote in message
news:02wFf.22932$JT.9764@fed1read06...
Appeal your settlement to the insurance company. They should base their
settlement on your $17,000 repair quote, not on the $14,800 repair
estimate. At the same time, appeal FEMA's decision. Was your area
declared a "federal disaster area"? If so, I believe you are entitled to
a small grant from FEMA even if they're saying your damage isn't "enough".
From my understanding FEMA wants to see what your insurance paid and will
base your eligibility on the difference between what the insurance paid
and what it will actually cost you to make repairs. Best of luck to you!

I am appealing the insurance settlement but that doesn't help. No matter
what they give me to repair the roof, I still have that deductible. I've
already appealed to FEMA twice. Yes, my area was a Federal Disaster Area
and received the most damage in the area. FEMA will not give me any grant,
just a loan application for a "low cost loan". To quote what a "Low cost
loan" is on their application:
If you are not creditworthy the interest rate is 2%
If you do have a good credit history the interest rate is 5.35%

Tell me what that means.