Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default ELECTRONICS AFTER FIRE

Hi,
I had a kitchen fire on 10/20/2005 with " medium" smoke and soot
damage. It burned my cabinets, but not all the way through, but there
were also plastic bowls that melted.
My question is... How does the smoke and soot affect my electronics
such as Fridge, dishwasher, TV, Computer, cameras, DVD player, stereo,
speakers, phones, etc.?
I asked my Insurance Adjuster about them and he said they could be
cleaned. That's fine, but it's now been over 3 months since fire. Now
I'm wondering if sending them to be cleaned will correct any damage
that may have started. I just need to know the best way I should
handle this. Last week my DVD player just quit and it was only 1 yr
old. I do pay for the " replacement value" on my homeowners insurance.

Also, how does the smoke and soot affect my ceiling fans/lights? The
cleaning company wasn't able to clean the inside of them. Should these
be replaced?
What about electrical outlets, etc.??
I appreciate all your help!!

Thank you!