Posted to rec.woodworking

Default best price on starrett 36" straightedge

Alright.. I got the Starrett 36" nonbevel nongraduated edge. Nice
piece of steel. I need to go lay if across the jointer bed and see if
it's straight ;-)

In defense of the Lee Valley 38" aluminum flavor.. 1st I got it for
$35 at a WW show.. so no shipping. The Starret was $106 + shipping;
call it $10 since most of the weight was the Starret (used the 25% off
deal at JLindustrial).

So.. $35 vs $116 (though I see the LV is now about $40).

The Starret is a 7/32" wide, the LV 7/16". 7/32" is tough to sit
upright w/o support. I might end up fitting up some wooden "training
wheels" to prevent it from tipping over and tumbling off whatever I'm
leveling. If I leave the "outriggers" a tad shy of the reference
edge, they won't effect the measurement, but they will be in the way.

The Starret is steel, LV aluminum (though LV has a steel 24" one
available, but I really wanted 36" +).

The Starret is a "block" of steel, somewhat hard to grap ahold of; the
LV is hollowed out in the center; easier to grab and hang onto.

The Starret is solid; the LV has a hole to hang it up.

If my 1st go-around w/ the LV would have been good (my 1st one had
detectable twist in it), I probably would have never questioned it's
accuracy.

The LV has a lot more "useability features", the Starret, hopefully..
is more accurate and a once in a LT purchase.

For general use, where the risk of damaging is inherent, and accuracy
is so-so, the LV would be my choice. Since I now have the Starret,
I'll have to make sure I don't use it for any of those cases ;-)

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 10:33:41 -0700,
wrote:

anyone find a good price recently on the 36" non beveled edge?