Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Woodworking and Retirement

"Philly" wrote in message

How long did it take you to really become effective at it once you
started?

I'm not retired but started at about 55. Plan to keep going as long as I'm
going.

"Effective" is a relative term.

I've made many pieces that I'm proud of, but they pale in comparison to
others right from the start. So what? I like what I'm doing and satisfied
with the results. I'm always trying to go to a higher level and I'm
gaining on most every project. If you don't think you are up to making a
full set of cabinets for the kitchen, make a bird feeder to start. Useful,
fun, not stressful from a quality POV. The important thing is to get
started. I started with doll furniture for my wife and granddaughters. Not
real fancy, but far better than the stuff in the stores. You can see some
on my web page.

If you think you are interested, just get going. Take a class. I attended
one at Woodcrafts a couple of years ago and at my age, I was about the
median.

Have fun. get going.
--
Ed