Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry

Default A little something for the Brainiacs...

"Nigel Eaton" wrote in message
In article , Mike Henry
writes

"Nigel Eaton" wrote in message
In article , Carla Fong
writes
Leo Lichtman wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" wrote: Neat -- but I prefer having a real one in my
hands.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Me too. I collect sliderules, but mine are not as funny as this.

What's really fun with a slide rule nowadays is demonstrating one to a
youngster who only knows 'calculator math'. They think it's some sort of
'black magic'.

Can I just piggyback on this thread to (hopefully) answer a question?

I've got a slide rule that I acquired many years ago. It's a bit odd,
though (I think).

It has scales marked in KW, HP and Amps. It also has one scale with a
marking at the end "10Yd.10000 circ. mil.". It's marked "Made in
Bavaria"

Ring any bells with anyone?

Not specifically, but it sounds like one of those slide-rule type
calculators that were produced as give-aways by various companies.
They've
been designed for all sorts of specific tasks. In your case it sounds
like
it was made for some sort of electrical calculations, and I've seen the
same
sort of thing for machining operations (speeds & feeds for various
materials
& diameters), hydraulic flow, and all manner of other engineering
applications. Every once in a while I pick up a batch of them on Ebay.
My
favorite is a Pratt & Whitney Gas Turbine "Computer", which is of the
circular style but my most used is one by Holo-Krome that shows
dimensional
data for various fasteners. That one comes in quite handy when designing
various projects.

Does yours have a company name on it?

No, just the maker's name (Faber) and "Castell".

I've been Googling and found this:

http://www.sliderules.clara.net/a-to...electrical.htm

Which suggests it's a Faber Castell 1/98 "Elektro".

I must read up a little more and have a play with it.

Ooh - that's much better than the cheap cardboard or plastic ones I've seen.
Have fun with it.