Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron

Default Tempered fireplace glass explodes

kevin wrote:
Ever heard of a doorglass blowing up in a car before for no reason?
Same thing.

No I haven't. I haven't even heard of window glass blowing up in a car for
no reason at all.

Had that happen to me once, scary as anything. Just buckling my son in
his carseat in the back after church one Sunday, my wife is standing
next to the car talking to some people, and BOOM, the entire back
window shatters into a million tiny pieces. We puzzled over this for
hours. No cars were going by (to throw a stone), not under any trees
(something to drop), very few people around on sunday morning (to throw
or shoot something), no one was touching the window at the time or for
at least an hour prior, not a very cold or hot day (for temp stress),
not windy at all (?). It was a pretty old window -- probably 22 years
or so.

The glass repair company wasn't surprised at all. "Happens all the
time" they said, explaining that it is just a terrible coincidence of
stresses and wear and whatever, combined with old glass, possibly a
tiny defect from the manufacturing, a hairline crack spreading slowly
over time, or whatever. But the effect is that it seems fine one minute
(we even scrapered ice off it that morning), and next thing you know it
is just bits and pieces.

For all you doubters just read this post.