Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jason D.

Default RCA sound problems

On 5 Feb 2006 12:45:45 -0800, wrote:

Hi;

I have been approached by an ex-employer about this. Now we all know
that RCA is working with the TV stations etc., about this, but have no
real answer.

From what I have read there is apparently a problem with the stop bit

in the guide plus data. It is not only a sftware problem on the sending
side, it can also happen when the customer changes channels. This data
problem or something similar has caused issues in other sets from what
I hear as well.

Jurb,

CTC19x gemstar module is disable-able, unplug 4 plugs and be done with
it.
CTC203 if the chassis have ONE RIBBON gemstar module, unplug, done.
CTC203 if the chassis have TWO RIBBONS, SOL! The Gemstar 4 module
have both MICRO for the chassis & guide plus in one giant chip.

The guide plus data comes on line 21 where CC data comes through as
well.

And note that: if one do the cap mod to disable gemstar, the CC is
disabled, ask the owner first about CC.

Reason Gemstar is still around is that it has the backing by microsoft
while ago. JVC had Guide as well but not now.

Cheers, Wizard