Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Intentionally rusting metal...

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 07:06:19 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Pete
Keillor quickly quoth:

On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 22:39:25 -0600, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

Stains you bet. I have an expensive lab coat with a custom IC logo on the back
while the front is rusting orange. Been that way for 38 years and who knows how
many washings and bleaching. I thought maybe I could find a chemical that turns
Iron color into blue. I want to say there is one - and maybe it is soluble in water
or something I could use to clean the coat once and for all. That's life.

snip

Oxalic acid. We'd get rust stains from acid drips working on the mag
cell project. A little chlorine or HCl would leak out of the cell,
absorb in condensation, and continually drip anywhere inside the cell
building. It wasn't too bad, but any drip was also saturated with
iron from the structure. Instant rust stain on clothes. Oxalic acid
dissolved in water took the stains right out.

It's also used to clean and bleach decks, so you can find it at most
home centers. It removes the rust marks from nails in decking and
lightens the wood.

I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol.
http://www.diversify.com Refreshing Graphic Design