Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default auto-darkening helmet question

1. Autodarking helmets block UV at all times.

2. I suspect the effect of 2000 arc strikes limited to .001 sec or
less, is equivalent to being outside in the sunshine for fifteen
minutes without glasses or sunglasses. ( regular glasses block most UV
).

Dan

Mickey Feldman wrote:
Forgive me if this is a well hashed topic - I'm really just looking
for more opinions from people in the trenches. (And I only drop into
RCM about once a year it seems...)

It seemed to me that since there is a finite amount of time that an
auto-darkening helmet takes to respond, that cumulatively this
epxosure could in fact be harmful (0.001 second times 2000 arc strikes
in a work day, or whatever....)

This guy, who should know a whole lot more about it than a novice
amatuer welder like myself would, thinks otherwise:

http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/jan2002/collision.cfm

Anyone care to give me their 2 cents before I run out and buy one of
these things? And if they are really comparable to sliced bread, is
there a favorite model?

Thanks,

Mickey