Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Intentionally rusting metal...

On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 19:49:25 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, Rob
Skinner quickly quoth:

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 00:03:25 GMT, "Jerry Foster"
wrote:

I have several ideas on this, but I'm sure some other folks have better
ones.

Hi Jerry,
I've experimented a bit with making new metal look old. I've put
together a web page for parts small enough that you can fit them into
some kind of bathtub: http://engines.rustyiron.com/electrolysis

For huge parts, I've been disappointed with hydrochloric acid. I
think all the acid does is clean off the metal and make it susceptible
to rusting by conventional means. You could just as easily wash off
the sculpture in lacqure thinner and then leave it out in the
elements.

Clean the steel well, dissolve as much salt as you can in vinegar
water, and spray it on the steel. It's almost as quick as muriatic
acid and will leave a nice rust surface by the next morning.

I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol.
http://www.diversify.com Refreshing Graphic Design