Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Dodd

Default Dry Lined Walls and Hanging Heavy Objects

MB wrote:
I'm constantly having problems hanging heavy items in our new build
house, which is constructed with dry lined walls.

I now need to hang an LCD tv weighing c. 10kg on a swivel arm.
Naturally with the arm fully extended, this is going to produce a high
level of force on the fixings which I am certain the dry lining will
not be able to take. I have had poor experience with plasterboard
fixings, that claim to be heavy duty, pulling out of the plaster
whenever there is any leveraged force - e.g. heavy book shelves, and
curtain poles).

If I attempt to get wall plugs into the underlying brick work, this
will leave quite a hole in the plaster, and leave the screw unsupported
for about 35mm - being the distance from the brick work to the outside
face of the plaster board.

The solutions I have considered a

1. Cut out the dry lining and mount a block of wood to the underlying
brick. Plaster over the wood and make good, and then mount the bracket
to this. This is somewhat labour intensive and rather messy.

2. Using masonry screws, which alledgedly will screw, with the aid of a
pilot hole, into brick work. However, I am not certain as to how secure
these are, and this still leaves quite a length of screw unsupported.

3. Use window frame fixings with long wall plugs which would then
support the fixing in both the plaster and brickwork - however, again,
I don't know whether these would take the force.

Any suggestions from more experienced DIYers would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Michael.

Frame fixings; using them to secure battens to the wall to support 3.6m
of desks holding home office equipment in same construction house - no
problems whatsover (and I've walked on the desks).