David Billington

Default Model Steam Boiler Welding

My neighbour does model locos and has said that silver soldered you can
do yourself and then get a safety certificate from a tester when it
passes checks such as visual inspection and twice working pressure
hydraulic test. For welded boilers you have to be a coded welder
qualified for boiler work or you won't be allowed to use it. This of
coarse applies to any use in public what you do yourself is up to you
but the consequences of a boiler failure could be lethal.

Hoticon wrote:

I was thinking about making a model steam engine. I have a few books
which shows how to make the boiler using silver soldering, but I don't
want to use this.

I was thinking about using my Dad's MIG welder. Is this possible?