Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs

Default Downsize Water Heater?

In article , "Bob"
wrote:

The normal recovery rate of any size electric water heater with a 4500 watt
element(s) (even 52 gal.) is 20 gph. The recovery rate of a 50 gal. gas
water heater is about 51 gph.

It is this very criteria that causes me to STAY with a gas heater, although I
BRIEFLY considered an electric unit.

At my former home, we were all-electric. I replaced the 40 with a 50 JUST IN
TIME for the three, growing daughters to "discover" hot water. The timing was
PERFECT! I had no complaint about the unit, recovery rate or otherwise. *I*
always had hot water and that was good enough for ME!!

Now, I must replace my aging 50-gallon. Downsize; High-recovery; High
efficiency; name brand; cheapie; in-between; This is silly.

I am currently leaning toward downsizing to a 40 but, this time, a
high-recovery unit.

http://www.ho****er.com/lit/spec/med...S003-0405N.pdf

I'm sure A.O.Smith downsized the actual gallon capacity (by 2) of this
particular "high recovery forty" to achieve the impressive recovery rate.

The OP mentioned their preference for a FULL-TUB bath. We have one "full"
bath with a whirlpool tub (one person). One whirlpool bath and a 38-gallon
model will surely be exhausted. Given that the tub is virtually never used,
it is of VERY little influence in my selection process. Heck, I remember
taking baths when I was little and my mom coming in with a huge pot of water
she'd heated on the stove to augment what came out of the tap. I don't
remember for sure, but I presume the water heater had given its all at these
times!
--

JR