Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Biggy

Default HDTV has no "Analog Audio Output"

Hi Guys

My friend has a 42" LG Plasma HDTV (DU 42PX12X) it has only one audio put
via digital "optical" output. I am trying to help him connect it to his
amplified speaker system. The HDTV has one extra monitor RCA audio output
but only works when you are watching standard TV and processor disconnects
it on HDTV channels.

Checked with LG Electronics who advised as follows:

(1) When receiving digital TV signal then no analogue audio signal available
from Monitor-Out, RCA connections
(2) When receiving analogue TV signal then yes analogue audio signal
available from Monitor-Out, but need to turn off internal speakers
(3) Digital audio output available at Digital Audio Output (Optical)

I would have thought that it would be fairly simple matter to capture the
analogue audio signal at the internal speakers, irrespective of whether the
TV signal is digital or analogue.

I was thinking of trying to open the set and tapping off the speakers left
and right with a simple voltage divider. I could ever make it a variable
attenuator. Only problem is I don't have a schematic I want to make sure the
audio output is not floating as I will have to ground one leg of the
divider. I guess I could measure the resistance to ground on both sides of
the speaker out to see if one side is grounded? Sure wish I new the correct
procedure to access the speakers there is lots of screws all round the TV.
This is first time I have had to work on a plasma TV.

YOU MAY ASK WHY I AM TRYING TO DO THIS?

He all ready has an nice amplifier and speakers and doesn't really care for
Dolby Digital or surround sound and stereo would be fine.

He wants to operate his system via the TV (one) remote. If he purchases a
home entertain system he will have one for TV and one for volume and one for
DVD player.

I also know that you could purchase a universal remote, but it can be very
costly ($300) and is headache to program.

Any comments