Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew Mawson

Default What oil do I put in a compressor?

wrote in message
oups.com...
The compressor is made by 'Valley', buts its just a cheap, rebadged
generic compressor made in China..

Its an upright, 3hp, single piston type with a very similar 'engine'

my old Oil Free 24L version (again, a cheap, rebadged import).

I think that I will drain the old oil out and put in some new

stuff...
I found in the (limited) instructions that it suggest N32 oil in the
winter and N68 in the summer.. I guess this "ISO" number.

One questions about oil changes is, how do I get all of the old oil
out? Obviously I heat it up, open the drain plug and tip it out, but

do
I have to get EVERY drop out? Does it matter if there is still a

little
bit left over?

I think I know where I can get the right oil in the UK, so am going

change whats in there, just in case.

All the best

Jon

Jon,

If you are worried about reaction between existing oil and new oil
then you will have to empty, then flush with new then empty several
times to be sure none of the old oil is left behind.

As it is a generic Chinese machine I would just go to your local
Machinemart and buy a bottle of their compressor oil and top it up.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/index.asp

AWEM