Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

Default Question about house re-wiring

In article ,
"Hellraiser" writes:

Excellent, I can replace switches/sockets easily enough, I had to do that in
the house I am in now. I don't believe the property has a consumer unit, how
much would it cost (approx) to get one fitted? I notice that CUs themselves

It must have one somewhere, unless it's been stolen and all the
electricity is off.

are quite cheap, but I am unsure of the amount of work needed to fit one,
and obviously there would be the cost of MCBs etc on top, but just a very
rough ballpark would do me for now. I am looking at getting the kitchen
refitted so would most likely need a new ring main for that, would it be
best to have a CU fitted at the same time and perhaps reduce the cost?

Yes. Alternatively, engage an electrician to test the installation
and replace CU if necessary when you move in, and to leave spare
ways to connect up new kitchen circuits when you have that done.

I should have mentioned getting the installation tested in previous
posting. It might flag up something more serious if you want to be
sure of no surprises later, although personally I wouldn't bother
for a 1980's house.

--
Andrew Gabriel