Posted to uk.d-i-y
Hellraiser

Default Question about house re-wiring

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Hellraiser" writes:
I've heard lots of people stating that houses need re-wiring after 25
years
or so, but can't for the life of me figure out why this should be the
case.
Copper tends not to corrode, and PVC stays flexible for many many years
so
is this 25 year thing designed to give electricians a good earner or is
there some other reason? I'm curious as I am about to buy a 26 year old
house which has not been re-wired and am wondering what to look out for.

No PVC wiring will have yet worn out, providing it's not
been subject to excessive heat or other damaging factors.
The accessories (switches, sockets, consumer unit, etc)
should all be regarded as potentially at end of life and
in need of inspection and possibly replacement. All the
earthing should be checked and ideally brought up to
current standards. A 1980 installation might be slightly
low on numbers of sockets, although not as bad as a 1960's
installation. A check for extensions to the original system
which have not been correctly done would be good too.

Excellent, I can replace switches/sockets easily enough, I had to do that in
the house I am in now. I don't believe the property has a consumer unit, how
much would it cost (approx) to get one fitted? I notice that CUs themselves
are quite cheap, but I am unsure of the amount of work needed to fit one,
and obviously there would be the cost of MCBs etc on top, but just a very
rough ballpark would do me for now. I am looking at getting the kitchen
refitted so would most likely need a new ring main for that, would it be
best to have a CU fitted at the same time and perhaps reduce the cost?

Sorry the questions are a little vague, but till I move in I can't provide
much more info

Cheers

Hellraiser...........