Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

Default High pressure sodium fixture

from buffalo ny: sometimes when the starter circuit fails in a 110v hps
35 watt light we can screw in a 110v regular incandescent bulb and it
lights. subject to your socket size may need a mogul to standard
adapter. an hps bulb will not light up in a standard socket.

Big Al wrote:
Was trying to figure out why my dusk to dawn light quit. Jumped the light
sensor and I could hear a slight buzz coming from the fixture. Unscrewed the
70 Watt lamp and put my DVM across the socket. Found out there is a heck of
a lot of voltage there. The DVM made an arcing sound and quit. Display still
comes on but no readings. Opened it and found the fuse blown. Thought that
was it, but the meter is shot. How much voltage is in that socket anyway?

Al