Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gasoline Storage

little looking on the web.

Here's a barrel (drum) pump made for gasoline (and other liquids) for
$25.
http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/137382.htm

Here is another
http://www.randmh.com/php/page.phtml?0300
Stock number W1408366 Low cost Steel pump (also $25)

Then all you need is a drum and I'd inquire about the venting.
Be sure the drum did not contain some chemicals that will mix with the
gas and cause problems. Find one of the oil change places or a
tractor repair center. They get motor oil, trans fluid, etc. in those
drums. A little oil in the gas wont hurt a thing. You will likely
have to pay for the barrel, they usually pay a deposit on them.

Using google, I searched for "drum pump" (with quotes).
There are lots of them. This is the first one I found that said (FOR
GASOLINE). I'm sure there are others.

Heck, for that price I might order one myself !!!

Here are a few other sites I looked at.
http://www.vestilmfg.com/products/dh...dispensing.htm
http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/pr...sp?sku=0707980
http://www.indco.com/products.aspx?catid=119&mapid=43
http://www.randmh.com/php/page.phtml?0300

Here is a vent.
It says .... F) The VENT-B opens manually or automatically at 5 p.s.i.
May be used with flammable liquids. Utilize on plastic or steel drums.
Fits horizontal drum with 2" bung opening.
GO TO: http://www.vestilmfg.com/products/dh...um_faucets.htm

Mark

-----------------------------------

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 14:35:33 GMT, "Pop"
wrote:

Hi,

What do you folk do for gasoline storage for your generators?

I am in far northern NY with harsh winters and occasional
multi-day power outages with frequent outages of several hours in
the winter. Worst one so far was during the Ice Storm of '98 - 5
days without power.

Here's my solution, but I don't like it:
I simply keep about 30-35 gallons of gas on hand beginning
about late November through February. They're all in proper
containers, stored outdoors, in a small open "locker" I made for
the purpose, painted red, highly visible from the road/driveway
for emergency vehicles, and clearly labelled as gasoline storage,
no smoking, all that good stuff. But that's a LOT of gas sitting
around in separate containers, some of the plastic, which I know
I should get rid of. That locker is about ten feet from the
garage and near a storage shed behind them, with a wooden gate
into the area. Theft is not a problem - very rural, motion
lites, siren, and someone is home near 24/7, etc..

I wanted a farm tank wiht a pump, but was refused; have to be a
business.
Have two cars, which hold plenty of fuel, but ... no way to get
the gas out of them. Siphoning is impossible these days.

My next generator's going to be a diesel! I know how to pump
fuel oil from my furnaces! But what about right now?

TIA,

Pop