Posted to rec.woodworking
Too_Many_Tools

Default My Grandpa Died, Need some help with his tools

Chuck,

From your description of your relationship with your grandfather I

would strongly recommend that you hold on to the tools for at least a
year. I suspect that you will find that you will not want to get rid of
any of them. As has been mentioned, the best way to honor your
grandfather is to keep his memory alive by using the knowledge he
passed on to you and other family members. If others of your family
wish to liquidate the tools, I would recommend you have them read this
discussion of the opinions being made by others here. If they still
want to liquidate, I would recommend paying the family what you can
determine the tools are worth by the methods mentioned in this
discussion. I was fortunate to receive some of my grandfather's tools
over thirty years ago and I have used them almost every day since. Just
today I was using a screwdriver of his and thought of him. I will also
point out that the tools of yesterday were made when quality mattered
and you will likely not be able to replace them with comparable items
in the future.

My condolences to you and your family in regards to your loss.

TMT